Skudin Surf Full Day Kids Surf School and XTreme Fun and Half Day Surf at Nickerson Beach Park in Lido Beach, NY
Summer 2014 registration is now open!
Full-Day Surf, Skateboard and Xtreme Fun Monday to Friday from 9 AM to 4 PM beginning June 30 and ending August 29
Half Day Surf School option starting August 4th – August 29th Monday – Friday 12-4pm
full day open to students of all abilities aged 7 years to 16 years old half day open to ages 5 to 16 years old.
Skudin Surf- Lido Beach
Nickerson Beach Park || 880 Lido Blvd, Lido Beach 11561
We at Skudin Surf are excited to announce our Surf School and XTreme Fun full-day, packed with Surfing, Skateboarding and Xtreme fun recreational field and beach activities. All abilities are welcome, whether your child is a beginner or an experienced surfer / skateboarder this will enhance his or her skills. If the Skateboarding is not for you we will have plenty of activities to gradually become comfortable on the skateboard. Skudin Surf separates the students into groups according to age and ability. All will be supervised by our very experienced, certified surf /skateboard instructors from the time they arrive until they leave. Our goal is to not only to have the kids enjoy every moment of their Skudin Surf experience but to also learn how to safely work their way in and out of the ocean. With the amazing facility at Nickerson Beach, there are many arenas to help sharpen skills on a board in and out of the water. They’ll have an amazing day in the sun and surf… we guarantee it!
We are also offering our half day surf school starting at 12pm and running until 4pm.
FULL DAY Kids Surf, Skate, and Xtreme Fun Activities at Nickerson Beach Park in Lido Beach
- The Day: Designed by Cliff Skudin (Owner/Masters degree in physical education/Professional Watermen) Our staff and professionals, our surf and skate program focuses on safety, skills, balance, education, recreation, etiquette and fun!
- Introduction: Meet beach Lifeguards and certified NSSIA Skudin Surf instructors about ocean safety, rip currents, surf safety, surf etiquette and Skateboard instructors. Every morning we have a mandatory group check in and surf /weather condition educational talk to all students.
- Daily Instruction: Very Educational but also fun when done the “Skudin Surf Way.” Upon arrival our Surf and Skateboard staff will over see a fun testing period where the student will be placed into instruction groups based on their age and ability level. These groups will be color coordinated based on age and ability.
- Equipment: Surfboards, Skateboards, Safety Equipment, Lycra Top Rashguards, and Pinnies, and all equipment will be provided for instruction during the day. You may bring your own equipment and use if the instructors approve it is safe.
- Instruction: Instructors are stationed throughout the location from the Ocean, Recreational areas and Skateboard park. The day will be split from between skateboarding, surfing, and recreational activities. Depending on the weather/surf conditions, group abilities and tide, will determine the order of these activities throughout the day. Time in and out of the water will always be evenly distributed. The participants will be looked after by the best surfing and skateboarding staff from around the world, working on improving their surfing, skateboard, swimming and balance skills.
- Surf and Skate Safety: Learn how to enter and exit the surf / ocean, and ride waves safely, with introduction to the etiquette of surfing. Skate safety learn the proper safety equipment and procedures, depending on the ability level of the student will depend on how much time is spent during the safety instruction. Every student must complete safety instruction before moving onto the next level of instruction.
- Ocean safety: Learn the different types of ocean and surf conditions/ currents and how to safely avoid and/or maneuver through them.
- Land instruction: Learn the “pop up” where students will be taught how to jump correctly from a prone position to a proper surfing and skating stance and ride.
- Ocean surf instruction: Professional and master surf instructors will be in the water assisting students in the correct way to catch and ride waves. Beginner level students will be on our included soft longboard surf boards. No kid will be alone in the ocean, surf instructors will be stationed with every student. Depending on the conditions and ability of the student will determine the level of instruction. (For example, 1st time ever surf student will be 1 on 1 with a professional surf instructor until they are capable of slowing gaining more independence in the surf where then they can be in a 2-1 or 3-1 ratio learning how to catch waves on their own with some assist. Experienced surf students can bring their own equipment and will be observed by our professional surfer instructor and will learn more about surf maneuvers and how to help generate speed, power and flow.)
- Skateboarding Instruction: Professional instructors will teach the students the correct way to ride, maneuver, and do tricks. Depending on the ability of the student will determine the level of instruction. (For example, 1st time ever will be 1 on 1 with a professional skate instructor until they are capable of slowing gaining more independence on their skateboard. Experienced skaters will be observed by our professional skateboard instructor and will learn more about skate maneuvers and tricks.) The use of ramps and street course will be available once the students are able to show proficiency. If the Skateboarding is not for you we will have plenty of activities to gradually become comfortable on the skateboard.
- Recreational Activities “Fun”: As the day revolves around safety and balance, the students will participate in balance games and lifeguard activities. We at Skudin Surf focus on balancing the FUN with the EDUCATION, so surfing games, plus featured prizes /activities from our sponsors will always be included daily.
- Levels of Instruction: Once students have learned the basics we have different groups within the program from beginner, intermediate, to advanced.
- The Pros: Skudin Surf has become a home away from home for many of the worlds best professional surf and skateboarders. With Will and Cliff Skudin on the Big Wave World Tour and all their world travels they invite the best of the best to teach along side local professionals. Every year brings in a new crew of professional athletes. Not only do the kids get professional instruction but they also get to learn different world culture from our international visiting staff.
- Busing from SUNY Old Westbury: 8am drop-off leave, return at 5pm for pick up. Students must be dropped off no later than 8am at SUNY Old Westbury campus (location and directions below).
Here are some reminders for your first day for Full Day:
- Please make sure you arrive on the beach Nickerson Beach Park 880 Lido Blvd, Lido Beach, NY promptly at 8:30am to check in.
- Free dropoff for camps and lessons. If you would like to stay and enjoy the beach its $8 with leisure pass. If you don’t have a leisure pass it is $30. We recommend if you don’t have a leisure pass to purchase one at Nickerson Beach Park administration building in the park for $25 that is good for 3 years. You can use this pass in all County Parks and enjoy! *Must be a Nassau County resident to purchase this pass.
- Make sure your child is prepared for a day at the beach; a light lunch, towel, and sunscreen are necessary. Snack and beverages will be provided but we highly recommend that you pack them a lunch. Friday will be Pizza day!
- -The Skudin Surf Medical Form and Waivers MUST completed during the online registration process which is then e-signed for your convenience.
- Please remember that it is required to have paid your balance in full before your first day of camp in order to participate.
- We will contact you via email by 7:45am ONLY if we have to cancel camp due to unsafe conditions in the ocean or heavy thunderstorms and tropical storm conditions. Also, you can check for alerts through our social media or website.
- Please see the Frequently asked Questions, and feel free to e-mail us at email@example.com or give us a call at (516) 318-3993 with any further questions
- $10 EXTRA FOR DAILY BOX LUNCH
Half Day Surf School at Nickerson Beach, NY
Here are some reminders for your first day of HALF DAY camp:
-Please make sure you arrive promptly at 11:30am to check in. Free dropoff for camps and lessons. If you would like to stay and enjoy the beach its $8 with leisure pass. If you don’t have a leisure pass it is $30. We recommend if you don’t have a leisure pass to purchase one at Nickerson Beach Park administration building in the park for $25 that is good for 3 years. You can use this pass in all County Parks and enjoy! *Must be a Nassau County resident to purchase this pass.
-Make sure your child is prepared for a day at the beach; a light lunch, towel, and sunscreen are necessary. Snack and beverages will be provided but we highly recommend that you pack them a lunch. Friday will be Pizza day!
-The Skudin Surf Medical Form and Waivers MUST completed during the online registration process which is then e-signed for your convenience.
-Please remember that it is required to have paid your balance in full before your first day of camp in order to participate.
-We will contact you via email by 7:45am ONLY if we have to cancel camp due to unsafe conditions in the ocean or heavy thunderstorms and tropical storm conditions. Or check our social media outlets and website for alerts.
Please see the Frequently asked Questions , and feel free to e-mail us at firstname.lastname@example.org or give us a call at (516) 318-3993 with any further questions!
Busing Option # 1 from SUNY College at Old Westbury *ONLY FOR FULL DAY SCHOOL
Bus departs at 8am || Bus drops off at 5pmSUNY College Old Westbury Campus
223 Store Hill Road
Old Westbury, NY 11568
(Note: This is the L.I.E. Service Road Campus Entrance)
If you are using GPS Navigation, please enter the following address:
2534 Cedar Swamp Road
Brookville, NY 11545
(Note: This is the street address for St. Paul’s Church located directly opposite from The College at Old Westbury Main Entrance on Rte. 107)
BY CAR – Westbury is located immediately north of the Long Island Expressway (Route 495, exit 41N) in the village of Old Westbury, N.Y., approximately 16 miles east of the New York City line. The main entrance to the college is located on the west side of Rte. 107 approximately one mile north of Jericho Turnpike.
From the Long Island Expressway (Route 495), east or west: Travel to exit 41 north, Route 106/107. Proceed north for 1½ miles to the campus entrance.
From the Northern State Parkway, east or west: Travel to exit 35 North, Route 106/107. Proceed north for 1½ miles to the campus entrance.
Busing Option #2 from Hempstead Turnpike and Eisenhower *ONLY FOR FULL DAY SCHOOL
Bus departs at 8:15am || Bus drops off at 4:45pm
*More details will follow for this pick up and drop off location shortly
|One Full Day Camp||$150|
|Full Week 5 Full Day Camps||$650 (before April 15);
$695 (after April 15)
|One Half Day Camp||$100|
|Full Week 5-Half Day Camps||$425|
|Additional Lunch per day||$10|
|Additional busing 5-Days from SUNY Old Westbury or Hempstead Tpk / Eisenhower location||$165|
Note: You may register for multiple days ie- 2, 3, or 4 days in the same week, or multiple days through the summer by registering the 1 day fee per day only for drop off. Please contact us for full summer rates.
|Week #1||June 23rd – June 27th (Closed)|
|Week #2||June 30th – July 4th|
|Week #3||July 7th – July 11th|
|Week #4||July 14th – July 18th|
|Week #5||July 21st – July 25th|
|Week #6||July 28th – Aug 1st|
|Week #7||Aug 4th – Aug 8th|
|Week #8||Aug 11th – Aug 15th|
|Week #9||Aug 18th – Aug 22nd|
|Week #10||Aug 25th – Aug 29th|